Sunday, August 9, 2009

About A Week of Saturdays

I began this blog a few years ago, with the intention of creating a sort of Tumblr-like photostream of my own photographs. Ever since, the site has evolved considerably, and the only constant has seemed to be that the posts themselves are about my own life and the things that interest me while I'm living in the SF Bay Area (Berkeley specifically).

I've posted photographs of my various outings, snaps of street art, reviews of various eateries and shops, commentary on design and culture, fun and/or artistic pictures of my friends, food I've eaten at restaurants or made at home, and even a window into what school tends to be like for me. I'd like to think that the common factor in all these posts is that the subjects they address matter to me in some way, regardless of what anyone else might think or want.

When I was pondering a title for the blog, nothing seemed to work particularly - everything was too cliche or too smarmy for my own good or too irrelevant. But "A Week of Saturdays" seemed to capture what I think this blog is actually about. Being an undergraduate has never proven easy for me, and yet it depresses me to think of how many people reserve pursuit of adventures, hobbies, and pastimes for the weekends, thinking that their job or their academic life precludes any kind of "indulgence" on weekdays. Well, I refuse to buy that - even at the height of finals, even when I am stressing about a paper or perhaps when I am simply on vacation, I've made an effort to choose to "indulge" my desire for culture, for social experiences, and for things that make me happy. Food, music, art, photography, fashion and friends are all things that continually pique my interest and keep me sane under the pressure of academic demands.

So, at the risk of sounding totally cliché, that's the blog: a metaphorical whole week of Saturdays, with nothing and yet the possibility of everything to do.

-Devora

You can also find me on Yelp and Twitter.

No comments: