Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Taking a Sick Day for Anxious People

I've never quite thought of myself as a workaholic, but it's funny to see how hard it is for me to take a day off since I started working. Now, this isn't a day off like "I need a mental health day" - that's a whole different can of worms. I do believe those days are necessary, but tell that to my guilty conscience and overbearing standards for myself!

Today, I've got: a sore throat, an achy body, a head full of cotton, and a stuffy nose. Now, if that's not a nasty cold that actually DEMANDS a day off - I don't know what is.

So here's the catch - I CAN'T RELAX. I mean, I slept until about 10. I ate Indian food for breakfast (possibly not the greatest choice, blurg). I set myself up a sick box next to my bed with everything I could possibly need in it (external hard drive with movies/tv, ibuprofen, tissues, headphones, journal, crossword puzzles, etc). I should be lounging about, reveling in the excuse to do nothing. But all I feel is stir crazy.

I can't be the only person who feels like this, right?!

This is a pretty hilarious post about 20 things to do on your sick day.

Here's how my day has gone so far:

  1. Wake up at 7am, body's natural get-up-for-work clock is on it. Go back to sleep.
  2. 9am - "Are you sure you're not going to work?" zzzzzzzzz.
  3. 10am - GODDAMMIT I can't stay asleep any longer because my nose is threatening to explode.
  4. Get hair under control (I look like I got electrocuted).
  5. Lie on bed moaning.
  6. Blow nose. (repeat every 5 minutes)
  7. Peruse Google Reader. (repeat every 5 minutes)
  8. Lose tissues in bed. 
  9. After 15 minutes of raging, find tissues on floor at foot of bed.
  10. Watch 3 episodes of Community in a row before I remembered that I planned yesterday to try to space out tv watching with other, more productive things. Fail. Watch another episode of Community. 
  11. Eat Indian food leftovers from last night. Begin to regret eating Indian food.
  12. Indian food seems to have settled, thank the baby Jesus.
  13. Decide to go see The Debt in theaters because it is the only movie that looks even remotely worth watching. Showtime: 2:15pm. Current time: 11:37. DRAT.
  14. Blog.
So. There we have it. Still no idea of how to tame my inner workaholic/meany voice. Mostly I think I'm just bored. 

Ideas??

1 comment:

alison kranz said...

oh my, yes, i feel the exact same way when i miss work! even for valid "excuses"!! hope you feel better soon, sicky panda <3 <333