Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Worth-Ryder Gallery Exhibition

I have class in Kroeber Hall on campus every Tuesday and Thursday, which is technically the art building although a lot of art history classes are taught in a couple of the lecture halls. I always forget that there's a pretty wild and inventive community of "budding young artists" (ugh, I hate the word budding) that lives right across the hall from where I listen to my ridiculously brilliant professor expound upon the nature of 20th century sculpture, &c. But today I ventured bravely into the Worth-Ryder Gallery, which has a new student show every two weeks or so, and look what I found!

First, a collaborative work by seven female artists. The class that put on the show is focused around installation; it was so funny that I happened to see this particular exhibition today because my lecture immediately prior to my viewing concerned the evolution of the installation. This collaborative piece reminds me a little bit of Colombian artist Doris Salcedo's installation of 1550 chairs in the space previously occupied by a city building. Mostly because of the yarn holding everything together, I think. 

chaotic overview

Everything sort of feels....tightly held together, like it would all topple over without the yarn. And the COLORS! Check out these details:

chaotic but held


chaotic in pink

chaotic in light and shadow

And that was only the collaborative work! I unfortunately don't have artists' names for these solo pieces, but I'll try to go back and find out. This first solo piece is a giant man's shirt made of sewn-together, cut-up men's shirts. It hangs from the ceiling and looks as if it's about to move, like a puppet on a string.

men's shirt

And this is a veritable forest of what seem to be strings, which hang to about shoulder height (on me!). The viewer is forced to choose whether to walk through the hanging fibers or duck under; I chose to walk through. 

it brushes your cheeks

detail:
a butterfly kiss

And a video, because this one was too cool and too subtle not to see in motion:

2 comments:

alison kranz said...

oh my gosh that chair thing is super-cool!! also, i love the new blog name. you are amazing. xox.

Laura Greig said...

(hooray for blog-stalking)

The piece with all the string is by Evelyn from our Art History class. Actually, like half that Installation class is also in Wagner's.