Sunday, July 3, 2011

Hella Leftovers

In my typical roundabout, backwards way, I'm going to post what I made with the leftovers of last night's dinner before I post about last night's dinner. I'm awesome.

Last night I made seared ahi tuna for my dad as part of a very, very, very, very belated birthday present from last year. I'll post all about that in a sec, I promise. So today, I'm left with this big ole hunk of perfectly seared, sushi-grade tuna (the guy at Berkeley Bowl looked at me like I was going to throw the tuna away when I said I was going to sear it. Shut up, fish-man, shut up) that I paid almost $20 for so there's no way I'm gonna let that puppy go to waste.

I flipped through all my Bon Appetit and Food & Wine magazines (it's too hot for the heavy weight of a cookbook on my lap) and finally stumbled upon this recipe for Soba Noodle Salad with Salmon and Asparagus, from Apr 2011. Now, I don't have salmon. Or asparagus. But I do have tuna and green beans (also from last night).

Definitely a good use of the leftovers. Only thing I'd say is that adding some kind of citrus (lime, lemon, etc) would have made this a bit better but whatever. I didn't have any on hand.

Here's my approximation of my recipe, serves 2:


1-inch-round bundle of soba noodles (make a circle with your thumb and forefinger about the size of a quarter... there you go.)
1 Tbsp olive oil (ish)
1 Tbsp soy sauce (ish)
1 Tbsp rice vinegar (ish)
a squeeze of honey
a drizzle of sriracha
salt
pepper
green beans (leftover)
1 green onion (medium)
6oz seared ahi tuna (leftover)
sesame seeds (for garnish)

1. Boil the noodles until edible but not falling apart. Drain, rinse in cold water until cool. Set aside in a cold water bath.

2. Whisk the next 5 ingredients together. Add salt and pepper to taste.

3. Chop green beans, tuna, scallion.

3. Drain noodles. Add dressing, toss. (To your taste with the dressing - I'm usually a less-dressing kind of girl but I liked it WAYYY better with more dressing. Also salt!!)

4. Add green beans, tuna, scallion. Toss. Sprinkle with sesame seeds.

5. EAT.

I imagine this would keep for a few days in the fridge. Like I said, I found the dressing a bit boring - if anyone has a better one, let me know!

No comments: