Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Deprivation Anxiety

So often, I find that posts that are supposed to be about "feeling positive" and "improving your life" involve depriving yourself of something that gives you pleasure. I'm a believer in moderation as much as anyone, but I see too many instances of crash diets and "I'm not eating carbs this week" and "I ate a cupcake so now I have to go to the gym for 2 hours." It makes me crazy!

Sometimes I start to feel down on myself - worrying about the aftereffects of a broken foot last summer in tandem with a sedentary job - and I think to myself, oh! I'll count calories! And do all these things that "should work! But the minute I start it, the very second I see a number attached to my breakfast and I am supposed to feel ashamed - something in me rebels. I don't like being told I'm wrong in the best of circumstances, and when I'm eating berries and whole-grain oatmeal, and apparently that's too many calories? I say fuck em.

I'm trying something new this summer - throwing deprivation out the window, listening to what my body wants and doesn't want (because usually my instincts are right about what's good for me), and trying to enjoy everything rather than punishing myself into some new way of life that's supposed to make me "better."

So here are some things I have enjoyed (without guilt!) in the last few months:


goi cuon roll - xyclo cafe
morgan's famous salmon
cheesecake in a jar - plum, oakland
blue bottle - jack london
proscuitto crudo sandwich - boccalone
pork chops with dijon cream sauce, roasted root vegetables and balsamic asparagus - morgan's house
pollo tacos with cheese and cream - tacos mi rancho, oakland
raspberry sorbetto and fromage blanc gelato - lush, oakland
xolo taqueria, oakland
May the coming months be full of such similarly joyous things..

1. white wave walu - rocketfish sf
2. goi cuon roll - xyclo cafe, oakland
3. morgan's famous salmon
4. cheesecake in a jar - plum, oakland
5. blue bottle - jack london, oakland
6. prosciutto crudo sandwich - boccalone, sf
7. pork chops with dijon cream sauce, roasted root vegetables and balsamic asparagus - morgan's house
8. pollo tacos with cheese and cream - tacos mi rancho, oakland
9. raspberry sorbetto and fromage blanc gelato - lush, oakland
10. xolo taqueria, oakland

3 comments:

natalie said...

this is perfect. guilt is such a wasted emotion when it comes to food. life is too short to not eat what you want and what is delicious and good for you! your body knows what you need and an arbitrary calorie number doesn't. LOVE YOU.

alison kranz said...

you are fabulous! <3

also, i fully support the notion of not depriving oneself. it just backfires anyway. have you read "Mindless Eating"? it's a great read and talks about stuff like that and i feel like i've probably told you about it a million times because i really liked that book :)

Morgan Imrie said...

Love this post! Also love that my food made it in there twice. I just made a Caramelized nut tart that I know you would love!!! Can't wait to have you over again :) maybe I will try something new this time...